TL;DR: We made an OctoPrint plugin that connects your OctoPi to the AstroPrint cloud.
Many people (incorrectly) believe that AstroPrint is a competitor to OctoPrint. Please read our full announcement for the OctoPrint Plugin for a more detailed discussion of how OctoPrint and AstroPrint differ.
If you are already an OctoPrint user and would like to plug your OctoPi into the fastest growing cloud platform in 3D Printing, you can now do so without commitment and see how both products complement each other.
Thanks to the awesome plugin API that Gina Häußge (creator of OctoPrint) and the contributing developers have designed, we can let existing OctoPi users try out AstroPrint’s cloud features with zero commitment.
With the AstroPrint Plugin, you can use OctoPrint anywhere – remotely, and securely.
..and if you don’t like it, you can simply delete it from the Plugin Manager.
What can you do with the OctoPrint Plugin for AstroPrint?
- Securely connect your OctoPi to the AstroPrint Cloud via the Internet (through an encrypted, SSL protected WebSocket) so you can print, manage, and monitor your printer from anywhere.
- Access your OctoPi using AstroPrint Mobile, or through your account at AstroPrint.com via the browser of any web-enabled device.
- Manage & Monitor up to 2 printers on our free plan*
- Use AstroPrint’s cloud slicer (which uses CURA engine) to slice designs.
- Sync and access your design files from any device.
* If you are using a Sailfish printer with your OctoPi, you are likely going to need OctoPrint’s GPX Plugin. Also, if your are using a Sailfish printer, you’ll need to modify the printer profile settings (on your AstroPrint Cloud account) to send GCODE (NOT .x3g) — then, the GPX plugin will convert that GCODE to .x3g.
How do I install the AstroPrint Plugin on my OctoPi?
The installation process for the AstroPrint Plugin is fairly straightforward.
All you have to do is:
- Go to the Plugin Manager under your OctoPi settings and search for “AstroPrint”.
- Then, simply click Install.
- After installation is done, you’ll need to restart your OctoPi.
- Finally, you’ll need to use the access key in your AstroPrint Cloud account (under Settings) to link your OctoPi to the cloud.
If you need a visual guide, follow the video below.
That’s the gist of how it all works.
If you run into any problems or have any suggestions on how we could improve the plugin, let us know inthe forums.