This is step one of a THREE step walkthrough on how to make your own AstroBox Gateway. Enjoy!
The AstroBox Gateway Software (open source, free) requires the following hardware components:
- Power Supply:
- Micro USB 5v 2.5 Amps. Don't use anything lower than 2.5A.
- Micro SD Card:
- Minimum of 8GB. Class 10 or better.
- WiFi Dongle
- Required on Raspberry Pi 2.
- Optional, but HIGHLY recommended, on RPi 3B and 3B+.
- Ever since AstroBox Gateway software v0.12(4), we support any Raspberry Pi supported WiFi dongle. Read more here about why dongles are necessary, even on the RPi 3's.
Note: Building and managing your own AstroBox Gateway requires technical skillz. This device is for developers and other tech savvy folks. If that doesn't sound like you, or you just want a more plug and play solution, please consider the AstroBox Touch instead. The AstroBox Touch is much easier to setup and manage.