This is step three of a THREE step walkthrough on how to make your own AstroBox Gateway. Enjoy!
Assembling and connecting to your AstroBox Gateway is fairly straight forward.
- WITH THE RASPBERRY PI TURNED OFF, plug your SD card and WiFi dongle into the Raspberry Pi.
2) Plug in and boot up
These instructions are the easiest setup but assume you have an extra dongle for RPi 3 and above and two dongles for RPis below. You can also follow these instructions for setup without the extra dongle.
- Plug the power cable into the Raspberry Pi.
- You do NOT need to plug in a monitor, keyboard, or mouse.
- Wait for it to boot up. This may take a few minutes.
- After booting up, the AstroBox will create a hotspot network with a name similar to "astrobox-xxxx".
3) Install the AstroPrint Mobile App (free)
The Mobile App is the preferred (and easiest) way to setup the AstroBox Gateway 3D Printer Controller. Alternatively, you could use a browser on your computer. The browser method is a bit more technical. If you prefer to use a browser, skip steps 3-6, and go to the Alternative Setup Option listed below.
- On your phone or tablet, install the AstroPrint Mobile App.
- Available in both the iOS App Store and the Android Google Play Store.
- Open the app, login to your AstroPrint account.
5) Connect to your AstroBox Gateway
- In the AstroPrint Mobile App, click 'Printers', then click the '+' symbol to Add a New Printer
6) Follow the Setup Wizard
- The setup wizard will take you through the rest of the setup process.
Alternative Setup Option: Setup via Browser
The video below will walk you through the process of setting up your AstroBox Gateway via web browser, instead of using the AstroPrint Mobile App.