To deliver live video streaming from your AstroBox to a browser over the internet without the need to route the video through AstroPrint, we use WebRTC. At the moment browser support is still evolving for this technology.
The AstroBox supports two formats to deliver the live stream: VP8 and H.264 (this can be changed in the Image/Video Settings via the Web UI under Video Stream Encoding). We expect widespread support across browsers in the coming months but in the mean time here's a guide of the combinations that work today:
- FireFox on Desktop: Both H.264 and VP8 video formats are supported.
- Chrome on Desktop: VP8 is widely supported. H.264 is supported as of version 52.
- Safari on Desktop: H.264 and VP8 as of version 11.
- Android: VP8 supported in both FireFox and Chrome. H.264 is also supported as of Chrome 60 & Firefox 55.
- iOS (any browser): H.264 and VP8 supported as of iOS 11.
For more information about up-to-date WebRTC support see this: http://iswebrtcreadyyet.com/