This software requires a purchase
The AstroBox software image needs a license in order to work. You can purchase one here.
Follow these steps to flash your image:
1. Download and install Etcher.
2. Download and unzip The AstroBox Touch Image.
3. Insert an SD Card in your computer ( min. 8 GB ).
4. Using Etcher, flash the .img file you resulting from Step 2 above.
- Ensure "Validate write on success" is enable to make sure your card and/or card reader and in good state.
- Ensure that the flashing and validation processes complete successfully. If there are errors, it could indicate that your SD Card is damaged and you should not use it for this.
5. Copy the license and lid files to your SD Card's .astrobox directory.
These files are provided to you in an email within 24 hrs of your purchase. Most times within minutes.
Remove file extensions
Some email clients add an extension (e.g. .txt) to the files when you download them. The files need to be copied to the .astrobox directory without any extension.
Enable Hidden Directories to see .astrobox
By default your file manager might not see hidden directories such as .astrobox. You will have to enable this in order to see the .astrobox directory. Do NOT place the files in the SD Card root. This will not work.
6. Configure the screen by editing the astrobox-config.conf file.
Be careful when editing this file. Don't add spaces between on either side of the "=" and keep the current return lines.
The file contains 3 variables:
- SCREEN_SIZE: the pixel size of the screen in this format widthxheight (e.g. 480x320)
- SCREEN_DRIVER: The name of the driver for the supported screens.
- SCREEN_ROTATE: Whether the screen should be vertically rotated. Values are n o y.
The following table shows the values for the support screens:
The image comes preconfigured with this
|WaveShare 3.5" (B) IPS v2.0 Touchscreen||480x320||waveshare35b_r2|
7. Eject your card and insert it into your Raspberry Pi.
8. Apply power and wait for it to boot up.
During first boot, it's normal that the device reboots.
Licenses are not re-usable
Your license can't be reused once it has been booted once. This means that if you need to re-flash for any reason after the device has already been booted, you need to contact us with your license id or order number so we can reset it.
Create a Backup after first boot
We recommend that you make a backup copy of your SD Card right AFTER first boot, so you can restore in the future on your own without having to reset your license.